Tell Me No Project Evaluation:

It’s safe to say the final completed project of Tell Me No is far from what we expected it to be, but that is definitely not a bad thing. Obviously due to COVID-restrictions, we had to change it up a bit and make the story fit a digital setting where we could still shoot it. We decided to change the project to a trailer, we chose this because we realised that it would be difficult to make a two person zoom call visually interesting and excitingly edited, whilst with the trailer we could keep up the tense energy we wanted in the originally planned scene. This was a very well thought out decision by us and I think we have come out with a very good final project.

I took on the role of Director as had been planned for the scene we were going to shoot, prior to filming I had to put together a storyboard for the trailer which would help guide us through shooting and help me capture an Idea of what to shoot and how to go about shooting it.

We shot the zoom conversations all back-to-back on the same day, we did this because it was convenient for one of our actors we had brought in and it allowed us to get most of the filming done in one sitting. Then we had our star of the trailer film her solo scenes at her own location, as well as some B-Roll footage which I and the director of photography chipped in on. Even though shooting virtually had its challenges at first, particularly for me as director, and was a lot more difficult than shooting in person we worked around it as much as we could. Giving some of the actor’s directions was difficult in a visual setting as there isn’t much room for physical acting and although we didn’t get to shoot as much zoom call footage as we wanted, we still had enough to fill out the trailer when it came to our edits.

Speaking of which the editing was probably the smoothest part of the whole process for me. When working on my edit I used the storyboard as a guideline still and followed the same structure which I then changed to my advantage of the footage we had when needed. I got License free music from the website Audio Network and found a track that I believe had a tempo that worked with the pace I was setting with the editing, dramatic, unnerving, intense. One of the things I frequently did throughout my edit was cutting to the beat, a personal favourite thing to do of mine and also something I think is key when creating intensity in editing. The edit came out rather well in my opinion, it captured the tone we were going for, told the story visually and is very attention grabbing. The only problem I think there is with it is the graphics used for the cast’s names and some of the taglines.

Despite all the setbacks due to the current situation in the world, I think we still were able to create an engaging piece of storytelling that is well made, engaging and well-acted. It probably would have been even better shot in person, but I think we have still come out of it with an excellent piece of work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panasonic & Green Screen Workshop Reflection

Content Research

Analysis of concept and content of "The Crystal Maze"